From my Haumea's Kitchen and others

Thursday, September 2, 2010

French Onion Soup


French Onion Soup

Who doesn't like a good bowl of French Onion Soup.  I don't mean the basic on you get at chain restaurants.
I mean good homemade stuff.  My sister in law and husband and hubby and I dined at
Le Normandi in Pacific Grove.  I tell you the Chef there can make a darn onolicious French Onion Soup.
I was salivating for that soup today.  It's 100 degrees and yeah I made the soup anyway.
So the butcher at the market saw me pacing the meat aisle they are used to me now.  I asked for Beef Bone and oh yeah he cut me up a nice one with some thick marrow and I was happy.  $1.64.  Got some stash of Gruyere Cheese hmmm was $21.99 a pound.  While I was at it picked up some more Molinari Pancetta I like their seasonings.
So I cooked away the bones for a while, and some beef base, Herbs de Provence and Grey Fleur De Sel,  thyme, 1/2 bottle of Turning leaf Chardonnay and 1 bay leaf. That simmered for a couple hours. 
With candle lit in kitchen,  I cut at 2 yellow and 2 mau'i onions on the mandolin and carmelized those baby's up.  I didn't shed one tear, thanks to Martha Stewarts advice to light a candle when cutting lots of onions.
And, yeah oh la la, it came out yummy.
Bon Appetito!!!

0 comments: