From my Haumea's Kitchen and others

Sunday, January 2, 2011

It's kind of a cloudy wet day one of those need to cuddle and stay in the pajama days.  But I hit the kitchen first thing and here goes.


My rendition of the Texas Buttermilk Sheetcake

This is for a 1/4 sheet version of this cake.  If I made the large version I'd eat the whole thing.  Luckily my daughter took some with her.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 cup fine baking sugar
•  ½ teaspoon baking soda
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
•  ½ cup butter
• 1 ½ Tablespoon Cocoa Powder I use Valhrona Cocoa Powder you can use Ghirardelli or Guittard
• 1 Egg
•  ¼ Buttermilk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
  1/2 cup water

 Chocolate Frosting:

• 1/8 cup butter
• 1 1/2 Tablespoon Cocoa
• 3 tablespoons buttermilk 1 ½ Tablespoon Buttermilk
• 1 1/8 cup powdered sugar
• ¼ teaspoon vanilla
•  ¼ cup chopped nuts  I used Macadamia nuts here

Preparation:

Cake

Grease a quarter sheet baking pan; set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

In a medium saucepan combine  butter,  cocoa, and 1/2 cup of water. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. With an electric hand-held mixer on medium speed, beat chocolate mixture into the dry mixture until thoroughly blended. Add eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat for 1 minute (batter will be thin). Pour batter into the prepared pan.

Bake in a 350° oven about 15-18 minutes for the quarter sheet pan, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.

Pour warm chocolate frosting over the warm cake, spreading evenly. Place cake in pan on a wire rack; cool thoroughly before cutting.

Some throw the nuts into the frosting but as you can see I dressed them on top.
Makes 12 servings

Frosting:

In a medium saucepan combine butter . cocoa powder, and  buttermilk. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat; add sifted confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth. If desired, stir in 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans or mac nuts. I put on top



I'll be torching these late and put the final photo up on these.  I only made a half batch.

0 comments: