From my Haumea's Kitchen and others

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Granola


Granola My Way
Adapted from
Sam Talbot's "The Sweet Life"

I love Granola, and it has to be good.  I do enjoy Bungalow Munch from Marin County, it's simple and wholesome.  This recipe is adapted from Sam Talbot's "The Sweet Life", I enjoyed reading his story of his diabetes and understanding the disease.  He has some awesome recipes that I am sure I will be cooking along the way.  Since I bottom out every few hours I thought I'd try his recipe for the Granola.  Lucky me, I have Valrhona Cocoa nib here along with the different nuts and oats even the Acai Powder.

A couple weeks ago I my doctor diagnosed me with type 2 diabetes.  I am at the top of Prediabetes and at the low end of Diabetes 2.

So I started back at the gym slowly, and my hubby set up my bike on the trainer.  Hope to loose some pounds here while I lower everything.

So, now I need to change alot of things around.  I still love to cook irregardless, just need to cook better healthier entree's for both of us.

I'm lucky, I love vegetables, grains, fish etc., so transition isn't that bad.  Hubby, on the other hand is learning to look some vegetables and I will cook those he can actually eat.

So you may see things in here indifferent from what I normally post.  You may see some of my own style as before as I can easily cook for myself and separately for the man.

Anyhow, as I continue to read and view other diabetic blogs, I hope to contribute some healthier array of food.

Once in a while, i"ll have a treat of some fine dining in moderation.

Bon appetit!!

Coconut Acai Granola


3 Cups old-fashioned rolled oats
½ Oat Flour
½ Cup unsweetened shredded coconut (Whole Foods carries a dehydrated shredded coconut, I also pick up at Asian market)
¼ Cup white sesame seeds
¼ Cup Oat Bran Flakes (crumble them up)
¼ CupSliced almonds (I used whole it’s what I had)
¼ Cup Hazelnuts
¼ Cup chopped pecans
¼ Cup pistachio nuts
2 Tablespoons Cacao nibs
2 Tablespoons Goji Berries ( I used Cranberries)
2 Tablespoons golden berries ( I don’t know what these are so it wasn’t added)
2 Tablespoons dried mulberries (I couldn’t find this)
1 Tablespoon Acai powder (Whole Foods carries)
Granulated Stevia extract equivalent to ¾ cup sugar
 ( I did not follow this, I used splenda and only used ½ cup)
2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
½ Cup light Agave
** I added 1 heaping Tablespoon of honey, and 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar, and 1 heaping Tablespoon of Maple syrup**

Preheat oven to 300F
I measured the sugars, the agave, oil and my additions and mixed in measuring cup.
I tossed all the above then I mixed in syrup mixture, mix well

Spread evenly unto pan I used a ¼ sheet and silpat so that I didn’t have to spray the pan. Bake until golden brown 45 minutes to an hour keep an eye on it.

Cool completely break and keep in container.

0 comments: