From my Haumea's Kitchen and others

Sunday, December 9, 2012

 
 
 Whole Wheat Buns
 
Not too sure really what do name these but simply whole wheat buns.
 
I am trying to make things as diabetic friendly as I do love sweets.
 
Since I have my type II under control with no meds it is very important that
I try to make as friendly as possible.
 
This year I was able to buy a lemon verbena plant, it still small but I trim it all the time and
it bares some beautiful leaves which I have taken and dried myself. Thus taking the C and H
Stevia light for baking and making my lemon verbena sugar.  I have been able to make 3 fulls cups of this sugar and I only use a teaspoon or 2 for baking.  I don't use agave as I read that can be bad for diabetics.  I will use some regular sugar now and then depending on the recipes.
 
One of my goals was to be able to make a 1 pan of items like and this success today.
Here goes my way of course.  Bon Appetit.
 
6 piece Whole Wheat Buns
 
1 1/4 teaspoon yeast bloomed with 1 teaspoon stevia sugar and a tad of honey
in 1/3 cup of warm water.  Yup 1/3 cup
 1/3 cup milk set aside
 1 egg mix like to scramble
 1 and 2/3 cups bleached organic wheat and "00" combination
(have 2/3 -1 cup on side to knead by hand)
 1/8 teaspoon salt (I use hawaiian or himalayan salt it's what I have on hand)
 2 teaspoon lemon verbena sugar ( now I dry my own lemon verbena and made my own  lemon verbena sugar with C and H Stevia for baking)
1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
 
2 Tablespoons melted butter
 
For the top, egg wash and 2T each of lemon verbena sugar and vanilla sugar for the top ( save for when about to bake)
 
After yeast is bloomed, mix in milk and add all other ingredients mix well then start to knead it will be tacky for a bit until all the remaining flour is incorporated.
 I knead for 7 minutes until all the glutens have done their job and feels smooth supple.
Place in bowl with a little canola on the bottom and put a little on top, cover in non draft area and let it rise for 1 to 1.5 hours.
 
Punch down, and roll into rectangle.
 I use simply a mix of lemon verbena sugar and a little vanilla sugar.  If you want to make it cinnamon roll type you can do that too.
Sprinkle all over and then tuck and roll, cut into six  equal parts place on silpat let them rise for the 2nd time for 1 hour.
 Egg wash and bake at 350 preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.  I have a medium convection oven so I put straight in and I turn the pan around halftime into baking.
 
Once done golden brown pull out and enjoy. Voila!!!
 
You can make glaze sugar icing of course if  your heart desires.
 
 


0 comments: