From my Haumea's Kitchen and others

Thursday, January 10, 2013

 
Cream of Mushroom Soup
my way
 
I made a pot of the Nilaga, but I knew hubby would want something else so
I had the Cream of Mushroom Soup in my mind.
 
It's so much better homemade so here is my version.
 
Now 3 of my favorite fungi weapons are:
Tube of Black Truffle Concentrate imported from Italy
Ground Porcini Powder and Procini Boullion
Ground Shitake Mushroom Powder I made myself
 
You'll need:
 
1-2 containers of Crimini's I slice my own but you can get them sliced
4-5 dried Morel's rehydrated strain and reserve liquid
Some Chanterelle's if available they're expensive so it's a bonus if you use
Fresh Shitake if available a handful sliced.
1 leek cleaned and sliced
1/2 yellow onion sliced
1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
1 teaspoon Hawaiian Salt
1.5 Tablespoons Porcini Powder (if you don't have this you can take dried porcini and and process into powder)
1.5 Tablespoons of Shitake Powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper is using ground 3-4 turns on the grinder
White pepper to your flavoring I use a couple turns on the grinder 
3 Tablespoon Flour or Wondra
2 quarts of water
1 teaspoon of thyme
1/2 Heavy Cream you can use half and half as well
1 Tablepoon Butter to finish
1-2 teaspoon snipped chives to finish
 1-2 Tablespoons of cooked Pancetta Lardons or 1 nice slice cut into lardons,cooked and set aside
Add: Dollup of Creme Fraiche if desired.
Serve with Artisan Crusty Bread, Crostini any bread of  your choice
 
Use a nice pan that will caramelize the mushrooms in be able to hold your soup.
I have a 3 QT All Clad Pan which is perfect
Cook the pancetta lardons and set aside
Caramelize the mushrooms in a little olive oil with a tad of butter ratio along with the oil rendered from Pancetta on medium-high heat don't keep stirring them just let them brown and toasty and flip as you go you'll know. Remove and set aside
Saute' the onions and leeks then add garlic
Add mushrooms back in and toss slightly
I add the flour here and stir to cook the flour taste away add a little oil here if it looks too dry.
Then add the water/stock slowly and it will start to thicken add enough of the liquid until your thickened desire. Don't take it to gravy so add a little more water to loosen the soup
Add thyme I grow my own so chopped it up to release those wonderful flavors
Add the Porcini and Shitake Powder stir and let it simmer for 30 minutes on medium heat covered.
Taste flavor and adjust seasoning here if needed.
Add the cream and cook for 1-2 minutes if the soup is too thin you can thicken with a cornstarch solution or wondra solution
Add the pancetta lardons, the butter, and chive and stir to finish off.
 
Serve with Artisan Crusty Bread, Crostini any bread of your choice
Bon  Appetit
 

0 comments: