From my Haumea's Kitchen and others

Friday, January 18, 2013

 
 
Madeleine's who doesn't love these jewels?
 
My hubby loves these.  I know they are generally quite rich.  When we frequent Napa, I always get a dozen at, Chef Keller's Bouchon Bakery.  Hubby goes through them like chocolate chip cookies which he doesn't normally eat.
 
Well, I've had a nice Madeleine pan for a while, and since I'm on hiatus until next month for the office, i've been working on recipes I have not been able too.
 
So since, these are expensive at even Starbucks in the 3 pack which don't taste near the wonderful ones at Bouchon, I went through my cookbook binder.
I decided to purge out recipes and compare ingredients, count, flavor etc.
 
So after reviewing many in my binder which I have now purged.  I found one that I really like
I've adapted it to meet my diabetic needs with the exception of the butter. However, all the other recipes I've had in my book or seen on the web show 2-3 eggs.
 
Here is a one egg version, sure it's laden with tons of butter and tons of richness of eggs but this is a nice rendition.
Here's the recipe
 

  3-4 Tablespoons Butter melted/browned

  1 cup plus 1T  ( my conversion here 1/3 all purpose  1/3 cake flour  and  1/3 cup wheat flour., plus 1 teaspoon each type of flours to equal the 3T)


½ tsp baking powder

 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon Castor Sugar (my version is  1/4 of Stevia C and H )


Finely grated zest of 1 lemon


1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped 
If you have it or 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste.  You can use vanilla bean sugar if you want I would add it to the sugar above a mix of it.




1 egg room temp
2 T plus 1 teaspoon milk  Here I used 2 T of milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste)  I also made some passion fruit ones and used the passion fruit puree for the 1 teaspoon)

 Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a small 12-mould Madeleine tray with butter.  There might be enough for 2-3 I used silicone cupcake liners and the come out like financiers

Sift the flour, baking powder and sugar together into a bowl. Beat the lemon zest, vanilla bean, egg and milk. Fold in the dry ingredients using a metal spoon.

Melt the butter in a small saucepan over high heat. When nut brown, add to the mixture and whisk well.  Use a whisk don't use your mixer.
 

Just don't overmix it will create to much gluten and become tough should be like pound cake batter I used a medium ice cream scooper for cookies unto my madeleine pan. If it appears to thick add little more milk.
Bake for 12-13 minutes or until golden.
 
Be creative with it.  I made some Passion Fruit Ones with dessicated coconut and Valrhona Chocolate Pearls. 
 
Bon Appetit.  

0 comments: