From my Haumea's Kitchen and others

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Dishes i've worked on over the weekend through today
 
 
 
 
 
Ginata'an (Filipino Dessert) or  Tambo Tambo
 
I try to make this dessert only enough for 2 people 2 servings kind of thing.
Hubby doesn't like this dessert.
 
So this one has Mochi Balls, Lychee Large Tapioca, regular tapioca,
okinawan sweet potato, langka and palm fruit.
You'll need:
Mochiko Brand Glutinous Rice Flour
Brown Sugar
Stevia C and H brand it has only 2 grams of sugar per serving
1 small bag of tapioca pearl
1 bag of the large Tapioca Pearl (I got the Lychee flavored)
1 small okinawan sweet potato or 1 small sweet potato or yam
1 small can of the sliced langka with palm fruit (I only used half the can and froze the rest)
1 small can of coconut milk
Corn Starch Slurry 1 Tablespoon thicken slightly with a little water.
 
Medium Pan bring to boil 3-4 cups water,
once it comes to a boil add 1/4 of regular tapiocs small size balls. Cook 8 minutes turn down to simmer.
 
In another small pot bring to boil 3 cups water
add 1/5 of the large tapioca cook 3 minutes they'll float to the top, turn off stove and cover.
 
Meanwhile, make the mochi balls:
 
The Mochi Balls, my method as follows:
 
2/3 cup of Mochiko (Glutinous) Rice Flour
8 Tablespoons Water
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
Mix the brown sugar with the water and pour into the rice flour.
Carefully Mix with your hands and don't overwork the dough
It should be shaggy and start to come together so from here, rinse hands clean
just air dry your hands then start to roll your mochi balls again don't overwork so as to not
creat anymore gluten as they will become gummy a few presses in the palm of your hand
and shape and set aside  on a plate with a little rice flour on the bottom. They should feel like a soft pillow to the touch. Keep in mind the more you mess with it the harder they become .
 
At this point the small tapioca should be cooked the large tapioca should be done.
Add the big pearls,  the Okinawan sweet potato and mochi balls and cook until the potato is tender.
Then I add the small can of coconut milk.
 
If you want to use plantains you can cook at the same time with the sweet potato it will need that time. But that's a lot of starch carbs for me so I omit that part.
 
Simmer on low for about 2 minues and then add the langka and palm fruit and if it's not thick enough add the corn starch slurry and cook until it thickens then turn off then cover for a minute or 2 then
you are ready to eat.
 
Masarap!  (to me)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Oyster Sauce Beef Skirt  Steak with Broccoli/Romanesco and Shitake Mushrooms.
 
No recipe required right?
 
The only thing I do different since I don't have a commercial stove.
I blanch and shock my broccoli , then once I have cooked the meat with the corn starch slurry
then I turn off stove and toss in the veggies then they are crunchy but booked.
 
You'll need:
 
I like to use a good piece of meat here so sliced Skirt Steak or Rib Eye works nicely
1 half yellow onion
Garlic to your own taste
2 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
2 Tablespoon Xioshing Cooking wine
4-5 fresh Shitake Mushrooms sliced
1 Broccoli or Florets but it's best to get the head
If Romanesco is around get one and use half of it
2 Tablespoons Oyster Sauce you'll need a good one
2 Tablespoons low sodium shoyu (soy sauce)
**Bamboo shoots optional**
Corn Starch Slurry 1 heaping Tablespoon to 1/2-2/3 cup water
 
Saute the onion and garlic, sweat it little to release the natural sugars medium heat.
Then turn up the heat to medium high and add the beef.
Then I add Fish Sauce and Xioshing Cooking wine, I let this simmer so that
the wine and fish sauce envelopes into the meat, once the water has evaporated
the oils from the fat in the meat will be prominent then stir fry accordingly.
Add the fresh shitakes and bamboo shoot if desired.
Then add the oyster sauce and shoyu.
Then add the corn starch slurry and cook it will start to thicken at this point you
can add more water to loosen the sauce.
 
In another pot blanche and cook the broccoli then shock in ice cold water.
 
Turn off the heat from the other pot with the dish and then add the broccoli and toss.
 
Serve with brown or white rice.
 
Bon appetit.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Fried Brown Rice with Bacon Chive and Egg
 
This is unlimited on what you make in your fried rice.  There are so many techniques, ie
the colder the rice when frying the better.
 
So I fried this one in a little bacon grease, then I fry the rice.
Seasonsings are simple:
Onion Salt
Garlic Salt
Old Bay or 21 seasonsing of your choice
1 Tablespoon shoyu
1 Egg add this at the end
 
Once the rice is done and you have added your seasonings:
Add the shoyu and stir around
Add the egg (mixed like you're going to scramble)
Move some of the rice to the side in pan and scramble in same pan
add bacon, chives, peas whatever is in the fridge. But I like it simple
then serve.
 
 
 
New York Style Crumb Cake
 
 
 
New York Style Crumb Cakes with Huckleberries
 
 
Lasagne Soup my way
 
This one is basic and you can do whatever you want with it.
My difference was I made my Roasted Tomato Soup.
I cooked the noodles separately and reserved 1 cup of the starch liquid.
I cut the cooked noodles to they were more uniform.
I also cooked in a separate pan some italian sausage.
Once the soup is done then I add the noodles and cooked sausage and simmered
for 10 minutes.
Then I add grated fresh mozzarella and fresh grated parmesan
I also finished it off with truffle butter that I made.
Top off with snipped chive.
 
 
 
 
 Butter Croissants
With a Combo of flours
 
 
 
 
 
Bibingka Souffle Re-dux
So I call it Butter Mochi Souffle'
 
Bibingka souffle is big I guess in the Philippines and here in some of the Bay Area Filipino Restaurants.
 
With all the different recipes of the dessert I envisioned really what I know when I make my own bibingka I learned from my Kaua'i grandmother and my mother and another aunt that I felt made the best Bibingka Vigan style god she made the best ilocano longaniza as well.  I remember seeing from our yard her hangings drying them and I knew wow mom are you gonna get some of those? You could smell the onaona of it in the air.
 
So what did I do to make this confection?
 
Well it's your regular souffle for one-two
Replace the flour with Mochiko Rice Flour
Replace all the liquid with coconut milk and make as normal.
 
Bon appetit.
 
 
 

0 comments: